Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Texas State Fair trip prep. Friday, 9/27/13

The Texas State Fair opens today and we are planning to go this weekend, a good 4-5 hour drive from us.  At the State Fair the unwritten rule is that food must be either deep fried or put on a stick, both if possible.  My plan is to break out or the Primal Challenge and eat total crap until I puke. Literally. It usually makes it easier to turn down crap food for a while after that.  Each item bought is shared by 3 people.  I have been reviewing the flyer and have identified a slew of crap to eat, to include (listed in no particular order):
Fried banana pudding
bbq brisket crunchy tacos
bbq brisket egg rolls
fried jalapenos - actually pretty normal in Texas, I mean you can get these on fast food burgers at more than one chain so we may pass on these.
fried pies, not at all unusual but oh please have apricot
avocado krispy fries - yes, fried slices of avocado
Krispy Kreme burger, I might have to beg off on this one as I do not mix sweet with meat, yeah no sweet & sour for me either.
deep fried red velvet cupcake
deep fried shrimp & grits
deep fried spaghetti & meatballs
deep fried chicken & waffle - if there is syrup involved it is an issue
Fried bacon cinnamon roll - I will be expected to try and will but I already freak out if my bacon touches anything sweet. Won most creative last year.
Pig poppers 
Deep fried Cuban roll - this year's best taste winner, I am skeptical.  And if the line is too crazy i will skip.
Fried Thanksgiving dinner - this year's most creative winner. Only if the lines are not bad.
Awesome deep fried Nutella - a finalist this year
Fernie's deep fried King Ranch casserole  - a finalist this year
Golden fried Millionaire pie - a finalist this year - oh yeah
Southern style deep fried meatloaf - a finalist this year
Spinach dip bites - a finalist this year
Texas fried fireball - a finalist this year
Bacon dog on a stick
Fried banana on a stick
Deep fried chocolate chip burrito
deep fried elote  - if you need tracers for your system
pig toes on a stick
spicy spam empanadas
deep fried creole boulette - not as weird as it sounds, basically fried tilapia that has been seasoned blackened before being deep fried. so spicy fried fish.
fried shrimp & cheese jalapeno
deep fried BBQ wontons - they say these are new this year but I had the beef version these in 2009 but they were called boomerangs.  and they were really good. will try the pulled pork version as well.
fried collard greens
What, no fried butter!?! Fried butter is my favorite!  I plan on coming back here to comment on this list after I recover but that might take a while.  I am planning on tweeting during the extravaganza at @HeyDianneHey .  I am hoping that no one backs out as I have hotel rooms booked already.

No comments:

Post a Comment