Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Where I am now and where I want to be. 8/8/11

SO, to correct the first stranded post.  The calendar has been removed, just couldn't get as comfortable with it as I was trying to be.
Now for today's thoughts...
I have always been an athlete and been strong.  More muscular than most.
I have had large thighs but strong muscles, visible even at my maximum fatness.  On call when I flexed them to see the quad.  Yesterday I flexed my leg and there was no lump jumping up in the quad.  What the Hell?!?
Admittedly my exercise has been hit or miss with more miss in the past year.  But still, the underlying musculature has always been there.  Where did it go?
I think I have the answer and it is all my fault.  I am hypothyroid and a year ago I wanted to up my dosage of dessicated thyroid to two tablets per day.  I was in the low normal range so my endocrinologist allowed it.  I was tested at 6 months and my T3 was a little elevated but he allowed me to continue.  I was pleased as I was feeling pretty good.  Hoped to lose a little weight as well.  Last week I went back for a new round of tests and the results were the same, elevated but he allowed me to continue since I have not reported any nervousness, shakiness, or sleeplessness (the most easily recognizable signs of hyperthyroid).  All seemed good.  Well, I haven't lost any weight but I need to exercise more and stay clean on the eating.
But now I realize what I have done.  Hyperthyroid causes sarcopenia, muscle wasting. 
Rather than dwell on what I have done I am taking action.
1.  Dropping back to one tablet per day of thyroid.  At 6 months (or sooner) I will schedule an appointment with my endocrinologist to get tested.
2.  Strength training every day.  Bodyweight work at least, something daily.  If something is important, do it everyday.  I did a search for a variant of that phrase in order to attribute it and found several, mostly going back to Dan Gable (Olympic wrestler & coach)  in the form of "If it's important, do it every day.  If it's not important, don't do it at all."  Good to apply to many facets of my life.
3.  Eat clean, Primal Blueprint/Pastoral style.  As in meat, vegetables, butter, raw cream. OK, coffee too.
4.  When I feel like eating some junk, do some strength move for at least 5 reps before considering putting whatever it is in my mouth.  This is similar to #2 and #3 but a preventative use of #2 to help #3 happen. I will try to pick something different every day. Like pushups today at Level 3 (see what are you moving tab if you want a description).

Movement Log:
Early AM on the BellaTour
Becoming Bulletproof Cross-body resets - 20
Walking lunges 40
Throughout the workday
Pushups L3 - 30

2 comments:

  1. I guess I have to follow both your blogs now! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, thanks Judith, You are my first comment!!

    ReplyDelete